Wednesday, October 28, 2009

For a newborn


The above little vest is the subtle colour of Pearl Lavender ( which funnily enough is also the name of a resene paint that I rather like ).
It looks white in the picture, but I can assure you i'ts definitely not.
You might remember that a couple of months ago I was experimenting with some flower and plant dyeing, using my book Eco Colour by India Flint as a guide and I produced this very subtle colour with these purple pansies.
After picking the fresh flowers I popped them into a little plastic bag and put them into the freezer. Once frozen I put them into a small muslin bag and poured a little warm water over them to defrost them and squeezing gently to release the colour. I didn't add a mordant, but I am happy with the result, and I think I will wrap this wee vest in some tissue and put it aside for the new baby coming in February.
It's about time there was a newborn in the family again !

3 comments:

BellaBree said...

oh, how lovely! I am very excited that my new niece was welcomed to our world this week...I LOVE new bubbas

Francesca said...

Adorable vest, both the mother and baby will be very happy!

walter and me said...

So cute, it looks so dainty. Love the subtle colour too (and that lovely yarn in the post below).