Friday, July 17, 2009

Grey tones

I am looking out my window this morning, it is grey outside and raining. The fire has gone out in the kitchen and I am feeling fed-up...well, a bit uptight if the truth is told.
I am tired, my shoulders are tense and I have a large red sore patch on my neck where my violin has been resting.

I have just watched a gigantic red removal truck carefully ascending the narrow, steep driveway of my neighbours and realise that they must have finally sold their house. It is not a nice day to be packing and relocating. They have lived there for about fifteen years ...it will be quite a change for them to move into town.

Two more rehearsals until the concert and I shall be glad when Sunday is here. Last night I looked at the faces of all my friends in the orchestra, musicians I have played with for many years and thought that everyone looked tired and tense. No one looked as if they were enjoying it immensely. I hope it will be different tonight.
I am very glad that I am not in a professional orchestra although the pay might be quite nice !

I am weary of playing the difficult passages over and over.

Time for a tea break and some knitting of cables I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to find out recently that musicians in top orchestras in the US get paid a salary of over 100,000 US$. Add that to their professorship at the local university or conservatory and it's a tidy sum. No wonder it's almost impossible for a young musician to get a foot in the door.

The Curious Cat said...

Why are you so fed-up? That photo is full of beautiful colours! I hope everyone cheers up soon so they can enjoy the fruits of all their efforts and hard work at the concert...xxx

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there to come and listen to your beautiful music - don't worry, I'm sure it will be Ok on the night(s). And grey I see in your photos is just lovely, so soft and comforting...take good care. lots of love,KP

kimberlee said...

wow, you have been busy, though I guess you always are. I am trying to catch up with everyone today since being overseas and traveling a bit makes it hard to keep up with blogging.

I hope your concerts prove to be enjoyable in the end and that knitting is a much needed rest for you.

seeing your winter gray picture actually makes me miss NZ even more. Looks like nice weather to snuggle up against with a favourite book, cup of tea, and warm fire roaring.
xo