Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Jacaranda Tree

There is a street that I drive through on the way to do my shopping. It has become very familiar over the years, but this is the time of year that I love passing by the most.
There are several large jacaranda trees growing outside people's houses, quite close in fact. The abundant blossoms give a wonderful purply shade to those who loiter underneath the branches.

I think it was three years ago that I planted our own Jacaranda tree in the garden. It is growing well and seems to be healthy and happy, but there are no signs of the characteristic blue and purple flowers yet.

About the same time I started stitching a Jacaranda tree.


See the bird perched on a branch. I bought this from a dear little haberdashery shop in Orvieto in Italy. I would have loved to linger to gaze at the many button trays displayed so tantalizingly but the bus was waiting to leave, and I felt very fortunate to be clutching my tiny purchase as I clambered on board.

Maybe the Jacaranda tree growing in my garden will decide to flower when I finish the stitching!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the tree and the piece you are working on is absolutely beautiful. Lavender and green are one of my color favorite color combinations. We have dirty, mucky snow here in Kamloops, B.C., Canada. What a refreshing post.
Brenda

kimberlee said...

the beauty of trees
I am glad you have such a lovely view on the way to the shops:)
-kimberlee

Unknown said...

Oh that Jacaranda quilt is magnificent! Purple is my favorite color for flowers. I have sweet little Lobelia in my tiny garden, they have a royal puple blue to them, very beautiful.

X Lies

zeliaevora said...

oh my! that stitching is amazing:)

Mexanese said...

simply beautiful!!!