Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Garden of England

We flew from Split very early on Sunday morning to arrive in a much colder UK than Croatia.

It didn't take long to get through customs and collect our luggage, then we found our little Ford Focus hired car, jumped in and drove to Tunbridge Wells, where we stopped and bought some flowers for my Aunt and made our way through the little lanes to her village.

On arrival she showed me the quilt that I had finished and sent to her, it did indeed fit her bed perfectly, and I was pleased to get a photo as I had sent it off in such a hurry I hadn't bothered to see what it looked like on a bed. Yesterday I bought some beautiful Rowan wool to make a guernsey pullover for my Uncle Tim. I am using RYC Cashsoft DK in a lovely shade of teal. It is lovely and soft and a joy to have in the hands.

Today we went to visit Batemans, the home of Rudyard Kipling.
The gardens there were beautiful and walking through the rooms in the house was fascinating, everything was left just the way it was when the Kipling family lived there. I was totally entranced, and was so pleased that I had seen the film " My Boy Jack" just a few months earlier.




This is my Aunt and Ian standing at the open front door of Batemans.

3 comments:

Little Miss Flossy said...

We're so enjoying your adventures... how green is England? Beautiful photos.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! So glad your enjoying urselves. The quilt looks like it was made for that room. good job mum!
Missing you guys alot lately!
sarah.xxx

Unknown said...

Hi sally, I had no idea you were posting during your wonderful travel but here I find you with most gorgeous pictures! My favorite photo is one in Sweden were the whole family is sitting on a large stone jetty, every-one seems so naturally contented. Also what happened with the flight happened to my PARENTS when they took us to Greece - they were ASKED TO PROOVE THAT WE ARE THEIR CHILDREN! Crazy eh. Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your posting on a precious re-union with your children and grandchildren.
X lies