Monday, February 11, 2008

Queen of Diamonds

I have been busy over the last few days cutting diamonds from some "hot" fabrics that have been lingering about in my stash for far too long. Time to give them some action I thought. I intend to piece them together for a "Hot Diamond Quilt". The design and pattern is to be found in Kaffe's book "Kaleidoscope of Quilts".


I love these fabrics with their bright and bold flowers of zinnias, hollyhocks, geraniums, pansies and poppies, and the colours are delicious, but for the last couple of years they have languished in my fabric cupboard until the other day when these "real" flowers arrived and the inspiration for the quilt came too.




I have had a lot of fun cutting,and then running to the spare room to place on the bed. I haven't completely decided on the arrangement yet, and because most of the fabrics I had were fat quarters and I needed larger amounts to make a complete row of diamonds, I have had to play around with the colours to achieve the look I am after.

I made a start on Babette's Blanket ( see 2 posts ago), a very small start, but here it is:

This blanket requires well over a hundred squares of differing sizes and when it is finished it will look just like patchwork, which is very pleasing because as everyone in my family knows, I am slightly obsessed with patchwork. :)

6 comments:

Little Miss Flossy said...

That is one of my favourite Kaffe patterns, your quilt is going to be simply stunning! I have small pileof fabric saved towards mine, no inspiration yet though :-)

Anonymous said...

2 lovely projects on the go! I feel a bit vicarious as my sewing machine hasn't been on since we moved in december! cx

Anonymous said...

Both projects are just beautiful. The fabric looks so nice when pieced together. I want to look up the crocheted piece. I have not done much in that area. I seem to get bogged down when reading the patterns for crochet. I am always collecting yarn when I see a good deal. I usually knit. My next sewing project is a flannel plaid patchwork quilt for my brother. I have so many scraps to use up. He is a carpenter and I want to make if very manly.

Anonymous said...

Nice job, QAH. I check in from time to time on your blog to enjoy your creative endeavors. And to soak up some summer green lusciousness!

Lies said...

Sally, you are such a quilt-wiz! That Babette-blanket will be so wonderful!!! I want to give it a go too! (In a next life I think, where I'll have a bit more time...)
X Lies

zeliaevora said...

that quilt will looke amazing... those fabrics are so beautiful...