I'm sure these colours were following me around today as I walked around the garden. The wool has been wound from the hanks and I hope to start the warping process today.
Thank you all so much for your welcoming words, Ian (my DH) keeps logging on to my blog and calling out excitedly "wow, you have another comment". He does the same with tinyhappy as well, in fact it takes him quite a while to have his breakfast in the mornings now, he reads all the new writings on Melissa's blog . It makes him think that we aren't so unusual after all, there are lots more crafty ones like us out there in blogland!
Some of you mentioned that the quilt in First Entry was difficult for a first attempt. May I assure you that it was incredibly easy.I know that you could all have a go at making one , it is so much fun. Firstly I didn't have many fabrics so had to use scraps of cotton that I had left over from dresses and skirts etc and the background cotton was a cotton sheet that I cut up, the center of each flower is a boring green or pink that I had hand dyed using a length of calico and I used the English Paper Piecing method. I LOVE this method. I cut hexagon shapes out of old birthday cards (you get to read all the lovely birthday wishes again) and then cut slightly larger ( about 1/4 of an inch larger ) hexagons of fabric. Tack the fabric hexagon on to the paper hexagon and when you have a few of these you are ready to sew them together.I kept all the hexagons in a tiny little box and took it everywhere went. In those days all the children were young and we had music lessons, visits to the swimming pool etc etc, so I could get quite a few sewn up whilst waiting.
This is another quilt that I started in 1996 and finished in 2003 ( I loved working on it so much that I was quite reluctant about finishing it )
The pattern was from the cover of Quiltmaker 1996 and I have changed things a little. Again I used scraps from clothes and hand dyed some calico for the appliqued flowersThis little bird I included because we once had a canary called Jellybean and I loved making this border with the scalloped edges. This quilt uses the Drunkard's Path block and is an easy one to hand piece (not so easy on the sewing machine ).